Sunday, April 12, 2009

Miscellaneous Thoughts on China

It has strange smells, very distinct. It is like a strong food smell and dirty smell all at once but it is not dirty. At least, not where we have been. It is immaculately clean. Hardly a piece of paper on the ground in site. Now Wuhan may be different, we haven't gotten to go exploring yet. But Beijing, very clean.

I found it funny that restaurants in Beijing had sanitation ratings. A for excellent, B for good, C for average and D for .... well do we really even want to know.

The smog is absolutely horrific. It is saturating. It is ubiquitous. It is everywhere. Our local guide was telling us that they have taken measures to help with the traffic and smog. They allow only cars with certain numbers on their license plates to travel on certain days. On the days they can't drive, they take public transportation, bicycle, scooter, anything other than driving.
And the traffic, well that is another story. Cars literally come within inches of people, bicycles, scooters, other cars and think nothing of it. They weave in and out of traffic in the most dangerous crazy ways and think nothing of it. It is truly unbelievable. In Ohio, we say Michigan drivers are bad (just kidding Michigan friends) they ain't got nothin' on these Chinese drivers.

Rudeness....... and interesting topic. I don't think they think they are being rude but they are. Waiting in line. It doesn't exist for them. They all forge ahead pushing and shoving. Or if there is a specific line, they just try and get in ahead of you. You can't even say anything because they won't understand or at least they act like they don't. This is my theory on it.... I think because there are 1.3 billion people in China they have to fight to get what they want because there may not be enough of what they want. I really try to overlook it but it is difficult sometimes. Maybe it is the foreigner thing. Maybe they think they should have something before a foreigner does. I don't know.......

The Food. Now I am not really a picky eater and will try lots of things but last night at the buffet at the hotel.... well let's just say ... no thank you.....
there was crispy jellyfish, duck liver, duck tongue (arranged very prettily on a plate), something called "as close to flesh and bones as one can get"--THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT THE CARD SAID. ( I probably should have run out the door then and I won't describe what it looked like-- let's just say Hanibal the Canibal), black chicken soup, some various shashimi (after the flesh and bones thing you can pretty much count out shashimi for me) and much more. There were some very "Americanized" things-- the sliced cucumbers were fabulous and they had some baby tomatoes. They also had this vegetable salad with carrots, onions and cucumbers in a vinegriette that was good. Todd tried this baked fish that was awesome. They had a pasta with ham that was kind of like carbonara which was good. They also has some kind of curry which Todd liked. I had to be careful because my stomach was still not quite up to par. But the adventurer in me is still in there, so I did try fried lotus with meat but didn't really like it (lotus is a type of vegetable)and the pork piccata was good. Now the desserts were all really good. I didn't wince not once when I looked at those. If I get a chance I will try to take some pictures but I just had to share some of that.


Being the "FOREIGNER" is interesting. Some people are super nice and helpful and some are just downright rude. We have had people look us up and down and just start laughing. The Chinese women are in general so tiny and the men not tiny but on the smaller side for men. In our group we have 2 six foot two men I am a tall big girl so we are not blending in much. We get stared at alot and I think especially in Wuhan where westerners are few and far between, it will be very interesting. It is strange being in a place where you are the minority. It gives you a whole different out look on it.

The language---I have been practicing. I have a little booklet with me so I can ask for specific things. I know I don't enunciate properly but at least I try. And I always my manners words-- please, thank you, your welcome. We are going to ask our local guide for some specific words for Abby like potty, drink, hungry, certain foods.

The water thing is killer. You can't use the tap water for drinking or brushing your teeth. Only bottled water. We are spoiled Americans. I am missing my nice cold refrigerator filtered water. mmmmmm that would taste so good right now. And you have to be careful about the ice. It is okay at the hotel, McDonalds, KFC, and Pizza hut but everywhere else--no ice.

There is a McDonalds on every corner here and KFC too. The menu is about the same with a few interesting things added.

We get Abby today. I am full of mixed emotions. Nervous, excited, scared. But I just have to trust that everything will be okay. I miss my girl back home. She is doing okay but I have never been this long without her and I miss her.

Well, it is 540 am so I better try to get some more sleep for the big day.
Blessings to all,
Faye

2 comments:

Michelle R Photography said...

Now that flesh and bones thing would have freaked me out!! But writing about all the things that are different really does put things into perspective, doesn't it? Our children could write their own book when they get to the U.S.

I think you might have Abby by now. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning, hoping to see her beautiful face right here!!

Hugs,
Michelle

Unknown said...

I am SO incredibly fascinated by your journey...I haven't picked up a book in days as I found a new literary passion!!

Marie Routman